1/19/08
-I’ve gone a few days without writing anything. Sorry, blog, you and I have some serious catching up to do. I can’t really accomplish this right now as we’re about to go on our second weekend trip. We’re going out to some “museum” of “cultural things” I believe? I really have no idea what this place is; the description they gave us only talked about how great and fantastic it is, but not about what’s in it. We shall see soon enough!
-Last night we went out to celebrate the belated birthday of a girl in the group who was here last semester too, Jessie! Unfortunately I can’t say I got to see her much at all, as our ENTIRE GROUP seemed to come out. We literally took over every club/bar we went to, so we had to split up. I had good fun. The area we went to was a strip full of bars and clubs, which we switched between pretty frequently. We finally settled on the “hot” or “poppin” spot where most of our group was. It was at that point that we realized how early we had gone out. Nobody was on the dance floor yet! However that just allowed us to grab the sweet nook right next to the floor so when it finally did start up we were the real ballers. I think the club was called “Blu Bar” or something. The floor was lit-up in
-So I don’t mean to make it seem that all I’m doing here is going out to clubs (ie: the same thing I could do back home). It’s just that the only times I have been writing in this thing seem to be on the weekend mornings. During the week I’m purdy busy. So the most vivid thing in my mind is the crazy night before.
-So yea, my weeks are pretty busy. This week especially because I decided to move up two levels into the 301 language class, rather than just moving up to 203. The first day of class was basically me embarrassing myself because I forgot EVERYTHING. But by the end of the day even I felt better just from refreshing everything. I definitely gave a lot of blank stares at my instructor when being asked a question, however. The instructor, btw, is really good! They are graduate students who majored in teaching English as a foreign language in college, so I suppose they know what they’re doing. She is very enthusiastic and prepared, and she makes the class very fun and enjoyable. She’s also very prone to getting off topic by engaging us in conversation on Chinese culture, but it works because it gets us to practice speaking anyways.
-And it SNOWED Thursday! The total accumulation was less than an inch, but it was still enough to cover everything in a beautiful white blanket. We woke up to snow on the ground, and it continued to fall throughout the day. What I love about absolutely freezing weather is that when snow arrives, it sticks around! The city has been white ever since.
-Thursday, day two of my internship, was fantastic. Well, not fantastic…what’s the word….barely-not-as-horribly-boring-as-the-first-day. That’s it! I had a meeting with my boss as soon as I showed up, so it looked like I might be doing something. However, it didn’t get very far because he speaks English roughly as well as I speak Chinese. He just wanted to hear what I study in school, what I am looking for by working for the company, and the like. It’s at least good because I can then practice my Chinese by speaking with him, and it gives me much more of an incentive to become conversational. Then maybe I will have something to do! He did set up an email for me and had me write him a more detailed account of what I told him in the interview. That was an effort, as I found it hard to go into much detail using the Chinese language. Oy.
-For lunch we again did not partake in local Chinese eatery. Unfortunately Jesse seems to be down for getting American food whenever he can, and so I just go along with it. We tried to check out Pizza Hut, but man. I don’t think we were dressed well enough for it. Here in
No comments:
Post a Comment